Website is a set of web pages under one domain that are accessible via internet which is either associated to a company, person, networks, organizations, shops, etc. There are two main types of websites namely Static and Dynamic.
A Static Website is built or coded in a simple way, written in plain HTML (Hypertext Markup Language); while a Dynamic Website is a more complex website, written using server-side scripting languages like PHP, ASP, JSP, etc. which contents are called from other files or from databases.
Static Website Advantages:
- It is developed quickly given that it has less designing and development details.
- Can be Hosted easily and has low cost maintenance involved.
- File or website download speed is faster especially if connection is slow
- Ideal for small websites or business as it donâ€™t require much administrative options.
- It is cheaper to build given that it is less complicated and may only have fewer pages.
- Pages can easily be optimized.
Static Website Disadvantages:
- It has only limited functionalities.
- Scalability is costly; with future changes and addition to the website.
- Website owners must be skillful if they want to do edits and updates by themselves.
- Dependent on developers for any addition and updates.
- Due to less or timely website updates, SEO may suffer.
Dynamic Website Advantages:
- Contains a lot of functionalities.
- Multiple user access when updating/managing contents.
- It is user friendly; website owners/editors only need basic content editing skills.
- Website longevity effectiveness, since website restructuring can be done easily/simpler.
- Contents or pages can be easily added or updated by website owners which is a plus for SEO.
- Provides website with different capabilities like online bookings, e-commerce, voting polls, forums, newsletters, etc.
Dynamic Website Disadvantages:
- Development can take time.
- Customizing layouts can be rough.
- Development and hosting is more expensive.
Given the advantages and disadvantages of both types of website it is safe to conclude that Static website are good for small projects that does not require processing big amounts of data which are only requiring minimal financial cost; while Dynamic website are best for major companies or business owners who prefer a wide scale of functionalities and a huge number of database. Most dynamic sites utilize a Content Management System like WordPress, Magento, Drupal, Joomla, etc that helps website owners manage content easier.